Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Restaurant Eolo Amalfi

    Restaurant Eolo Amalfi

    Gatronomy Gourmet Restaurant Amalfi Neapolitan Riviera Amalficoast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Amalfi Vacation Amalfi Coast

    Amalfi Vacation Amalfi Coast

    Villas and Exclusive Apartments Accommodation Holiday Guesthouse Amalfi Minori Ravello Positano Amalficoast and Neapolitan Riviera...

  • Villa Lara Amalfi

    Villa Lara Amalfi

    Quality Bed and Breakfast Charming Hotel Relais Accommodation Luxury Rooms Amalfi Coast Hotels Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania...

  • Romantic Boat Amalfi

    Romantic Boat Amalfi

    Rental Boat, Boats with Skippers, Exclusive Excursions to Capri, Positano Boats, Li Galli Island, Positano, Atrani, Amalficoast...

  • Torre Saracena Amalfi

    Torre Saracena Amalfi

    Mediterranean Gastronomy Restaurant Exclusive Events on the Amalfi Coast Salerno Campania Italy

you are here: Home Friuli Venezia Giulia Friuli's Hinterland Valvasone

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Valvasone

Description

The town's name derives from the Old German words "Wal" and "Waso", which respectively mean "hill" and "grass" or "lawn between the heights". Municipality in the province of Pordenone, located near the river Tagliamento, bordering the province of Udine, Valvasone is a small well preserved medieval village, with charming narrow streets, a beautiful square with buildings arranged in a semicircle and with the underlying arcade, which forms a covered walkway.
The area was already inhabited since the Roman Ages and a first settlement was probably built for defensive purposes. Significant is the castle, built to guard a ford of the river, whose presence is certified in documents dating since the early XIII century, although some structural features and defensive solutions seem to be of an earlier period. Between the XII and XIII centuries, the civil and religious power was exercised by the patriarchs of Aquileia, who imposed the presence of local landowners to control the lands: therefore also Valvasone was ruled a feudal lord. In the XV century the region was conquered by the Venetian Serenissima Republic and the families, that ruled the area, lost most of their privileges. This area was conquered in 1797 by troops of Napoleon, who abolished the fiefs and the center was placed at the head of the administrative district of Canton Valvasone.

Attractions:
- the Parish Church, built in Gothic style, features a portal with a bezel, flanked by two slender lancet windows, present also on the sides and enriched by cornices, that give the structure more momentum. It is flanked by a massive square Bell Tower, whose linearity is interrupted by arches and mullioned windows. Inside, in a carved and gilded wood case is kept a XVI century organ by Vincenzo Colombo, the only surviving instrument of the XVI century school of Veneto;
- the Cathedral, built in the late XV century, has submitted serious damages over the centuries, of which the most significant in 1889, when the ancient frescoes were obliterated. It consists of a major nave and chancel plan flanked by two chapels. Inside it houses a precious XVI century organ of the Venetian school;
- the former Convent of the Servants of Mary;
- the Church of Saints Peter and Paul;
- the Castle, already stated in 1290, is a complex of buildings arranged in a horseshoe around a small courtyard. Its impressive outside is contrasted by its residential interior, embellished with a three-light windows;
- Palazzo Martinuzzi-Dulio of the Renaissance period, which was restored in the XIX century. Inside the building preserves superb XV century frescoes;
- the Town Hall;
- the XVI century Casa Fondaco;
- the late XVIII century Palazzo Pinni;
- the XVII century Palazzo Fortuni;
- Palazzo Fioretti;
- the Tower of the hours;
- the nature trails

Map

This town web page has been visited 19,318 times.

Choose language

italiano

english