Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Friuli Venezia Giulia Friuli's Hinterland Prepotto

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Most viewed in Prepotto

  • Grillo Friulan Wines

    The wine cellar was founded in the 1970s and is personally managed by Iole Grillo's daughter, Anna Muzzolini, who has the expert technical support both in the vineyard and in the cellar of Mr. Lino Casella. The estate can be found in Albana, Prepotto,...

  • ANTICO BROILO Friulan Wines

    For years our firm has produced wines looking after optimal quality. Skilled hands prune the vines wich produce the precious fruit, in order to take advantage of the whole qualitaty potential of the vine. Only few grapes from each plant: this is the rule...

  • Marinig Friuli Wines

    The Marinig family's winemaking traditions date back to 1921 when great-grandfather Luigi, who already owned a small estate, bought a second estate and devoted his considerable winemaking skills to its management. He later passed the estate on to his...

  • Petrussa Friulan Wines

    We remember that moment as if it were today, our decision was made and we knew very well what we would encounter. We wanted to devote our lives to our job in the family vineyard, trying to carry on that amazing work and commitment started by the two generetions...

  • La Viarte Friulan Wines

    "La Viarte" - "Springtime" in Friulian - is a winery that extends over a total surface of 101 acres (41 hectares). 64 acres (26 hectares) are of productive vineyard and the remaining part has been preserved as woodland for the natural balance of the environment...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Prepotto

Description

The town's name derives from a word of the Slovenian dialect "pràpot" (fern), meaning the towns of ferns. It 's a municipality in the province of Udine, located on the border with the province of Gorizia. Well known for the variety, quantity, quality and production of fine wines, including the famous "Schioppettino", produced by a native vine.
Traces of a settlement in the area are present since the Lower Paleolithic period. During the Bronze Age, the Italic population Euganei settled in the regions of Friuli and Veneto, that around year 1000 found themselves forced to abandon the areas, to give way to other tribes from Veneto, that gradually occupied the land. In 400 B.C. these inhabitants were conquered by the Celts, who at their turn, in 221 B.C, had to subdue to the Roman legions. With the fall of the Roman Empire, the territories were prey of the Ostrogoths and the Lombards. At the times of Charlemagne, the whole area was conquered by his troops; the Lombard King Desiderio was imprisoned and he proclaimed himself King. Then followed the invasions of the Hungarians and the ages of the rule of the Patriarchs of Aquileia, that at the times clashed with the Count of Gorizia. The first official document which reports the town's name is a text of 1161. In the XV century the town submitted the domain of the Venetian Serenissima Republic, until in 1866 it became part of the Kingdom of Italy.

Attractions:
- the Sanctuary of Castelmonte, already mentioned in 1175, was a Roman coach station, later transformed into a fortified place. It was remodeled several times and restored over the centuries. Situated on top of Mount of Mercy, over 600 meters high, surrounded by greenery, preserves a XV century stone statue, life size, depicting the Madonna and Child;
- the Oratory of Santa Giustina Virgin and Martyr at Albano, located in a XVII century villa, once owned by the Della Torre family. The lintel reports a date of the XVIII century;
- the Church of the Holy Spirit, located west of the center of Albana. Probably built as a fortification in the XVII century, whose Bell Tower was erected at a later date. The church is mentioned in a document of the XVI century;
- Castle of Castelmonte in Albana, a small village near the Italian-Slovenian border, which was built in the XII century, around 1185. It was built on a rock and features a massive structure with a rectangular base and four corner towers, one of which has a rectangular base. It was donated by Pertoldo of Albana to Church of Cividale, then it became property of the Count of Gorizia, who, in the XIV century, recognized the ownership of the castle to Ermanno Traburgo. In the XVI century, when the last Count of Gorizia died, without heirs, the town was subdued to the domain of the house of Habsburg. The castle suffered serious damages due to the battles against Austria and Venice and finally collapsed due to a series of earthquakes. The structure was restored, but lost its military functions to give way to more country residence appearance.

Map

This town web page has been visited 32,598 times.

Choose language

italiano

english