Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Hotel Villa Maria Ravello

    Hotel Villa Maria Ravello

    Charming 4 Stars Hotel Accommodation Relais Exclusive Events and Weddings Ravello Amalficoast Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania...

  • Ristorante Pascalò

    Ristorante Pascalò

    Italian Gastronomy Quality Restaurant Sea Cuisine Vietri sul Mare Amalficoast Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania Italy

  • Astarita Car Service Sorrento

    Astarita Car Service Sorrento

    Limo Car Service Sorrento and Amalfi Coast, arrange exclusive private shore excursions, Amalfi day tour, Pompeii and Vesuvio,...

  • Ristorante Taverna di Moranda

    Ristorante Taverna di Moranda

    typical Tuscan restaurant, Tuscan gastronomy, Tuscan wines, Italian Gastronomy, Pienza, Tuscany

  • Hotel Terme Capasso Contursi Terme

    Hotel Terme Capasso Contursi Terme

    Quality 4 Stars Hotel Wellness Accommodation Beauty Center Thermal Swimming Pool SPA Contursi Terme Salerno Campania Italy

you are here: Home Abruzzo L'Aquila and its province Pacentro

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Pacentro

Description

It is a town in the province of L'Aquila, located in National Park of the Majella, on the slopes of the mountains of the Morrone, at the mouth of the Valley of Peligna. Although inhabited since ancient times, the village was mentioned for the first time in a deed of the VIII century, in which the Dukes of Spoleto donated the church of Sancti Leopardo in Pacentru to the Monastery of San Vincenzo al Volturno. In the X century, the inhabitants fortified the town and started the construction of the first core of the castle, to defend the population from the continuous raids of the Normans and Saracens. Over the centuries, the town submitted the domain of several powerful families: the Caldora, the Orsini, the De Sanctis, the Colonna, the Barberini and the Marquis Recupito of Raiano.
Emblem and main feature of the town is the Castle Caldora (or Castle Cantelmo), whose original structure dates from the XI century, initially built in a triangular shape with a single tower to the north. Residence of the Caldora Family, the castle was enlarged and a new wing with two other residential towers were added. Finally with the Orsini, two more cylindrical towers were erected.

Not to miss:
- the Cathedral Church dedicated to St. Mary of Mercy of the XVI century, which features an imposing façade preceded by a monumental fountain;
- the Church of San Marcello, dating back to 1047, probably the oldest in the area, which preserves inside interesting frescoes;
- the rural Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie;
- the Church of the immaculate conception, in Baroque style;
- the Convent of the Minor Friars (1589), which houses inside a painting by the Flemish artist Spranger;
- the numerous palaces;
- the rural engravings and paintings in the cave of Colle Nusco.

Map

This town web page has been visited 16,894 times.

Contact Basket

Click on the basket icon to create a list of structures you want to contact.

Choose language

italiano

english