Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Rocco Palace Praiano

    Rocco Palace Praiano

  • Amalfi Transfer Tour

    Amalfi Transfer Tour

    Amalfi Coast Transfers and Excursions, Lemon Tour, Exclusive Tour and transfer to Train Station and Naples and Rome Airport, Amalficoast...

  • Hotel America Marina di Camerota

    Hotel America Marina di Camerota

    Quality 4 Stars Hotel Accommodation Swimming Pool Cilento Coast Salerno Cilento Park Campania Italy

  • Palazzo Avino

    Palazzo Avino

    Charming Luxury 5 Stars Hotel Accommodation in Ravello on the Amalfi Coast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Hotel Le Sirenuse

    Hotel Le Sirenuse

    Charming Luxury 5 Stars Hotel Accommodation Exclusive Events, Gourmet Restaurant in Positano Amalfi Coast Campania Italy

you are here: Home Lombardy Valtellina Livigno

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Livigno

Description

Livigno is a famous tourist resort in the Valtellina area, in the province of Sondrio, also known by the nickname "Little Tibet". It is a municipality located in the center of the Rhaetian Alps, between the Stelvio and the Bernina, crossed by the river Spöl which, after crossing the Swiss National Park converges into the waters of the Inn, a tributary of the Danube. It is not only the most northern town of Lombardy but also one of the few to be located at more than 1500 metres above sea level, the area of Livigno was inhabited since ancient times, particularly those most exposed to the sun. It obtained administrative autonomy from Bormio in 1816 and was proclaimed municipality. Livigno that already enjoyed the benefits of customs enshrined under the Napoleon and Austria dominations, continued the free sale of products not subject to taxation during the dominion of the Kingdom of Italy; In 1948 the constitutional law of the Italian Republic established a "duty free" zone. This gave way to the touristic development of the town, with the building of hotels, ski lifts and snow-park at the forefront, as well as a tax-free shopping area.

In addition to the typical local dwellings, known as "baits", other places of interest in Livigno are:
- the Church of St. Mary of the Parish of Livigno, whose original structure dates from the XV century. It features a single nave plan with an octagonal apse and an altar surmounted by a large XVIII century tabernacle;
- the Oratory of Our Lady of the Rosary, located next to the Parish Church of Santa Maria, already existing in the XVII century and enlarged in the late XIX century;
- the Church of Saints Anthony Abbot and Anthony of Padua, located in the town center, built in the XVII century on a pre-existing structure;
- the Church of San Rocco, founded in 1588 and built on a private land donated in time of plague and preserves inside a precious font of the XVII century;
- the Church of the Addolorata (XIX century);
- the Church of the Immaculate of Lourdes, built between 1886 and 1887 by the brothers Silvestri;
- the Church of St. Christopher (1984);
- the Church of Our Lady of Caravaggio, built in 1720 but consecrated only much later, in 1862. The altar is a beautiful canvas that represents the apparition of the Virgin Mary to a girl peasant of Caravaggio;
- the Church of Val Federia, located outside the main center of Livigno and consecrated in 1984;
- the Church of the Immaculate, a faithful reconstruction of the original one destroyed by the waters of the artificial lake created in the Swiss-Italian border;
- the Church of St. Anne in Trepalle, constructed in 1924 on the site of the original structure, which preserves inside a wooden ancon of the XVII century;
- the Church of the Madonna del Soccorso (XIX century);
- the Church of Our Lady of Peace, created as a result of a vow made by the population during the First World War, hoping for the return of their soldiers.

Map

This town web page has been visited 23,939 times.

Choose language

italiano

english