Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Friuli Venezia Giulia Friuli Venezia Giulia's Coast Farra d'Isonzo

Stay

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Most viewed in Farra d'Isonzo

  • Casa Zuliani Wines Friuli

    Extending over two viticultural sites - the DOC (Controlled Denomination of Origin) areas of "Collio" and "Isonzo del Friuli" - the Firm Casa Zuliani is located in one of the traditional vineyards of Italy, where grape vines have been grown long before...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Farra d'Isonzo

Description

The town's name derives from the Lombard word "fara" (fortress), while the second part refers to the Isonzo River, which flows in the area. Municipality in the province of Gorizia, the main center is located in a flat area and covers also a part of the Collio area. Rich is the list of traditional gastronomic products and fine wines.
In the Farra area, in the II century B.C., the Roman colonists founded a small settlement and built a bridge access. At the fall of the Empire, the territories were prey of other conquering populations, including the Lombards. In the medieval period, the town was proclaimed fief, which included also Gradisca. Between the VII and VIII centuries, after years of Barbarian invasions and epidemics, the local inhabitants moved out of the area, leaving space to Slav populations. The area of Gorizia was then subject to the Franks, to whom followed the Germanic emperors that, shortly before year 1000, incorporated the territories into the Duchy of Bavaria. In Napoleonic times it was occupied by the French army and finally, in 1921, it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.

Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta, built in the XVIII century and features a façade surrounded by four half-columns, surmounted by a pediment and interrupted by two rectangular windows and a half-moon window. In a niche, a statue of the Immaculate enriches the portal. Behind the church, a Bell Tower with a square base, features a belfry with mullioned windows and is surmounted by a tambour and a spire;
- the Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart in Mainizza, which is preceded by a small portico supported by two columns, and surmounted by a mullioned window Bell Tower;
- the small village Church of Borgo, with a crescent shaped window on the front and a sloping roof, on top of which lies a small belfry;
- the Church of Villanova, which was destroyed during the First World war and rebuilt in 1926. It features a charming stone building preceded by a portico with four arches supported by columns;
- Palazzo Calice built in the first half of the XVIII century;
- the Museum of Rural Culture;
- the Museum of the Car and its Technology;
- the Astronomical Observatory.

Map

This town web page has been visited 21,899 times.

Choose language

italiano

english