Spoltore is a town in the province of Pescara, located on a hillside near the Adriatic Sea, between the rivers Tavo and Pescara. Although several findings evidence the presence of Roman settlements, the town's name with high-medieval origins and derives from the Germanic word "spelt", a cereal widely cultivated in the area. After the Norman conquest the town was under the domain of the County of Loreto; in 1496, with the title of Barony, it became fief and was ceded to Ferdinand Castriota, known as the Manfredini, who promoted the building of the town's centre, whose urban aspect remains today.
The main center is arranged in a semicircle around the old fortress, of which today remains a bastion and two towers.
Not to miss:
- the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Popolo, rich of stucco decorations, in which houses a precious wooden statue of the XII century, depicting the Madonna and Child;
- the Church of San Panfilo extra moenia features typical Franciscan elements and a beautiful Bell tower recognized as a National Monument;
- a section of the Modern and Contemporary Art Gallery of the province of Pescara, at the Palace of the Workers' Association;
- the Caverns of Santa Maria, remains of an antique Greek-Albanian settlement built around a rural church;
- the remains of a Roman kiln in Cavaticchi;
- the Church of Saints Cosma and Damiano, with its rich parish archives;
- Villa Acerbo
- Palazzo Toppi (XVI century).