Morro d'Oro is a town in the province of Teramo, situated on both sides of the valleys of Todino and Vomano. The urban structure has the typical aspect of a medieval village and was mentioned for the first time in a document dated 1021, concerning a donation made by Adalbert de Aprutio in favor of the Monastery of Montecassino. In 1200 it became part of the jurisdiction of Acquaviva and remained so until the XVIII century.
Not to miss:
- the Abbey of Santa Maria di Propezzano, whose existence is already certain between 930 and 960, although the traditions narrate that it was founded already in 715. Its Romanesque-Gothic façade features of three levels of different heights: the one on the right is merged into the adjoining convent, the central body features a portico with three arches, where remains of XV century frescoes are visible. On one of the higher levels it features an oculus above the porch and a simple canopy. The right side, instead features a portal called the Holy Door, which is opened once a year, only on May 10th, on Ascension Day. At the back of the church there is square shaped Bell tower. Within it preserves a square shaped cloister with the remains of frescoes of the XVII century.
- the Church of San Salvatore, built in the XIV century and subsequently altered;
- the former Convent of Saint Anthony, at present it features only three arched vaults. It was completed in the XVII century and later abandoned, following the suppression orders by Napoleon.