Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Restaurant Eolo Amalfi

    Restaurant Eolo Amalfi

    Gatronomy Gourmet Restaurant Amalfi Neapolitan Riviera Amalficoast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Amalfi Transfer Tour

    Amalfi Transfer Tour

    Amalfi Coast Transfers and Excursions, Lemon Tour, Exclusive Tour and transfer to Train Station and Naples and Rome Airport, Amalficoast...

  • Restaurant Masaniello Maiori Amalfi Coast

    Restaurant Masaniello Maiori Amalfi Coast

    Italian Mediterranean Gastronomy cooking fresh fish Seafood specialties Maiori Amalfi Coast Neapolitan Riviera Sorrento Salerno...

  • Hotel Accademia Trento

    Hotel Accademia Trento

    Quality 4 Stars Hotel Accommodation Restaurant Trento Alto Adige South Tyrol Trentino Italy

  • Luigi Sabino Transfers & Excursions

    Luigi Sabino Transfers & Excursions

    Amalfi Coast airport transfers, excursions from Neapolitan Riviera, transfers from Positano, Ravello, Amalfi to the Salerno, Naples...

you are here: Home Abruzzo L'Aquila and its province Castel del Monte

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Castel del Monte

Description

It is a municipality located in the National Park of Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga, in the province of L'Aquila. An ideal starting point for pleasant excursions to the beautiful mountains of the Abruzzo region. The name clearly indicates the existence of a fortified village perched on a hill. The area was inhabited since ancient times by Italic populations, also evidenced by the discovery of a necropolis dating to the XI century B.C. Subsequently it became part of the Roman Emprie and with the beginning of the Barbarian invasions, the local population was forced to flee further upstream, creating a defensive watchtower at the highest point. It was mentioned for the first time in a papal bulletin of 1223 with the name of Castellum de Monte. In 1298 the accounts Acquaviva took possession of the village, until they had to cede it to Alessandro Sforza, followed by the Piccolomini, the Medici, until finally in 1743 it became part of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.

Not to miss:
- the Parish Church entitled to St. Mark the Evangelist, built between the XIV and XV centuries in Renaissance-Baroque style;
- the Church of Our Lady of Suffrage, from the first half of the XV century, with splendid Baroque decorations and an altar, 12 meters high, in carved wood and gilt, depicting a statue of the Virgin;
- the Church of San Rocco, built after the plague of 1656;
- the Church of St. Catherine;
- the Governor's Palace (XV-XVI century);
- Palazzo Colelli;
- the Ricetto;
- the antique gateways: Porta San Rocco, Porta Santa Maria and Porta Sant' Ubaldo.

Map

This town web page has been visited 19,709 times.

Contact Basket

Click on the basket icon to create a list of structures you want to contact.

Choose language

italiano

english